The Noble and Most Singular Order of the Blue Carbuncle was founded on January 6th, 1971 and led by James T. Covert; the eleven charter members first met on the campus of the University of Portland. The singular purpose of the Order is to promote, extend, further, advance, encourage, dignify, elevate, and generally improve the study and employment of the Sacred Writings and Sherlockian Studies. The name is taken from “The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle,” published by the Literary Agent, Arthur Conan Doyle, in January 1892.
The Society is dedicated to the pursuit and appreciation of the singular exploits of the wisest and noblest of men, Sherlock Holmes, and his faithful Boswell, Dr. John H. Watson.
We have regular business & discussion meetings at members’ homes in February, March, April, September, and November. Mrs. Hudson’s crew provides lunch. The meeting content may include:
- Quizzes or games
- Story discussions
- Scholarly presentations
- Items of Sherlockian interest
Because we meet at private homes, we don’t publish the meeting locations on the Internet. Please email us at email@example.com if you’re interested in attending a meeting or event.
- The Master’s Dinner, January: Members-only banquet to celebrate Sherlock Holmes’s birthday
- Memorial Ceremony, May: Commemoration of the “death” of Sherlock Holmes at Reichenbach Falls
- Watson’s Picnic, July/August: al fresco barbecue to celebrate Dr. Watson’s birthday
- Left Coast Sherlockian Symposium, October: We are sponsors of and eager participants in the Northwest’s only Sherlockian gathering.
- The Alpha Inn Christmas Goose Dinner, December: Holiday celebration featuring goose (of course) and a potluck meal, silliness, and the Grilling of the Eggs (new members ready to become full members)
- Ad hoc events such as plays, meetings with visiting Sherlockians, teas, and other special field trips
We welcome all those who love Sherlock Holmes in any of his incarnations. Guests are welcome at meetings and events (except the Master’s Dinner). Provisional new members are dubbed Eggs and must attend at least three meetings and pass a “grilling” at the Goose Dinner to become Full Members.
- Grand Gander Patrick Ewing
- Trusted Associate Dan Teeples
- Jabez Elinor Gray Howell
- Stockbroker’s Clerk John Ellis
- Pledge Master Terri Zensen
- Gazetteer Janice M. Eisen